Re: [OT] German-English translation tools

Am 25. Aug, 2001 schwäzte Andrew Perrin so:

> Does anyone know of any free (or at least reasonably cheap) tools to
> assist in translation? I'm explicitly *not* looking for a program that
> attempts to fully translate texts, but rather something to help with some
> of the dirty work as I begin translating some previously unavailable
> articles from German. It could be something as simple as a fairly
> comprehensive electronic dictionary, or possibly an NLP tool that makes a
> stab at syntax as well.  Available for linux or solaris is a very large
> plus, but I'll put up with windows if I absolutely have to.

See the translate package. Defaults Deutsch->Englisch, but goes both ways.
You can add words as you find stuff it doesn't have.

There have also been a variety of commercial translation packages for dos.
You might be able to use one of them under DOSEMU or something like that. I
have one somewhere that cost $50 about 5 or 6 years ago.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  When you are tired of choosing the lesser of two evils,