Re: Xwindows

On Sunday 26 August 2001 9:37 am, Ron Sanders wrote:
> Hellos there. I'm trying to get XWindows to run, but it won't for some
> strange reason. after i run XF86Setup as root, and get it all rolling, i
> get this error _XIITransSocketUNIXConnet : can't connect errano 111
>
> I just got Debian, and just tried my first hand at installing Linux :S
>
> Anyone got a clue what i'm doing wrong?

Check the permissions on /tmp.

If you run X as a normal user (via startx), it creates various temporary
files on /tmp. If it doesn't have read/write permission, X won't start.

Either "chmod 777 /tmp" (as root) or alternatively, create a group in
/etc/group, adding your user[s] to that group, and chmod to allow group
read/write permission.

John.