Getting Sunix ISA card with SUN1699 UART to run 921.2kb/s

Hello, could someone help me with this card?, or just point me
in the right direction?

I am using my old 486/33 box as firewall for my ISDN line
(binaries and general directory structure from Debian, custom
install and boot procedure, lots of hardening).
The machine is all ISA bus, none of the fancy new buses
(I omit the names of them to help people finding this post
in search engines with a negative search condition that they
don't want to read posts about those other buses).

My old serial card was an ordinary GM16C550 based dual port
card with a maximum speed of 115200.  A few weeks ago I found
a retailer who still offered higher speed ISA cards and bought
a single port SUNIX 4020U2 card which says in the manual that
it can run 921.2kb/s and supports Linux.  However nothing I
have tried has managed to make it run at more than 115200 or
with a 64 byte FIFO enabled.  I am not sure what is happening.

System information:

Kernel: 2.2.19 with almost everything needed for this box
   compiled in (network, firewall, masquerade, serial, hard disk
   etc.).
Serial driver: 5.05 plus patches to make it compile in 2.2.19
   plus my own patch to make it compile in kernels without that
   other bus.  But I had the same problems with the original
   serial driver in 2.2.19.
Setserial: 2.2.17 from Debian
Boot method: loadlin from Windows 95 (yes I know, crude).
Root filesystem: ramdisk.

Things I have tried without luck:

Telling the system to run at 115200: CONNECT 115200
Just telling the system to run at 230400: Result CONNECT 9600.
Manufacturers web site: They have two zipped MS Word documents
   telling people how to type
      # setserial /dev/ttyS3 io xxx irq xxx uart 16550A
   but those documents don't list the 4020U2 card.
e-mail manufacturer: no response for 2 weeks so far.
Search google: hundreds of references to a patch for serial
   5.05 regarding the recognition of board id's on that other
   bus.  2 or 3 cases of newbie users who were waved off when
   they did not know some basic concepts.
The super high speed patch/program mentioned in the serial HOWTO:
   The Linux version is for the old serial driver, but I checked
   the Linux source code and the precompiled DOS version.  The
   patch is a collection of different methods for different
   motherboard chip sets, intertangled with brute force hardware
   detection.  Sunix 1699 is not on the list of chips and the
   precompiled DOS version just says it did not recognize any
   chips on my computer.
Subscribing to linux-serial: majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu bounced
   the subscription request.

Card information:

Hardware description of Sunix 4020U2

Hardware Summary:

Board name: 4020U2
UART: SUN1699, claims 16c750 compatibility
Crystal: KT14.74J
Bus type: ISA
Configuration method: Old fashioned jumpers
Configuration: io=2F8h, irq=3

Hardware details:

General card type: 8 bit ISA
Date of purchase: August 1. 2001.
Sticker on front of card: 4020U2
Text on front of card:
   <CF> 04V0 E119801
   9951 (in LED style font)
   CE symbol
   VER 1.0 Made in TAIWAN  FCC: H9MSUNSER
Stickers on back of card:
   S/N:A 358068 Q.C. OK
   Barcode from Danish computer reseller Zitech.
      (Product 160072).
Components from left to right, top to bottom:
   RX1 (20H): not present
   RX2 (20V): not present
   RX3 (20V2): SMD component labeled 472 (resistor?)
   S1: Jumper bank, consists of:
      JP1: ADDRESS 4 positions labelled: 3F8, 2F8, 3E8, 2E8
      JP2: IRQ     5 positions labelled: 3, 4, 5, 7, 9
   X1: Crystal labelled: KTS14.74J
   R1: SMD component labeled 472 (resistor?)
   R2: SMD component labeled 472 (resistor?)
   C3: SMD capacitor?
   R3: SMD component labeled 105 (resistor?)
   C6: SMD capacitor?
   C1: not present
   C2: not present
   U1: SUN1699 0001E SMD chip 64 pins total, 13 pins high, 19 pins wide
   C9: not present
   C4: SMD capacitor?
   C7: not present
   U2: LGS S40 GD75232D SMD chip, 20 pin DIL
   C8: SMD capacitor?
   S1: p1: 9 pin D-sub male on rear bracket.

Extracts from manual:
   (the manual is just a single piece of paper with 4 pages of hardware
   info, with no OS specific data.  Open Hardware logoable if complete).
   (I have tried to duplicate original spelling and grammar).
   (Actually all of it!).

Front page:
   4020U2
   ISA 8 bit
   1S (16C750 64 FIFO)
   Hardware Guide

>From Page 2:

The 4020U2 8Bit ISA bus I/O card is equipped with one High-Speed
RS-232.V24 Standard Serial-Interface, The serial port include 64 Byte
FIFO, The speed Up to 921Kb/Sec.

* Hardware Specification

Serial Port:
   UART Chipset: SUN1699, Hardware FIFO are 64Byte FIFO,
   Compatible chips: with 16c750, 16C650, 16C550, and 16C450.
   IEEE standard: RS-232 Interface
   Driver Chipset: TI-75232, speed up to 100Kb/Sec, length 300-500M.
   Max. Speed: Up to 921Kb/Sec (HYPER Terminor program)

>From Page 3:

* Hardware installation guide:

> Turn off the power of your computer
> Plug-in the 4020U2 MIO Series Adapter to ISA bus of your computer
> Add-on the peripheral (Modem, Handy,...etc.) that you need to this
   Adapter
>Select S1 port I/O address and IRQ location
> Turn on the power of your computer
> If you select 3F8(Standard COM1 Address), the BIOS will detect your
   Port and show them on Screen "Serials Port(s)

> NOTE: Serial port in Power on Self-Test
   The new ISA serial controller contains more advanced features.  It
  uses some reserved bits of 16C550 UART register to enable these
  features.  The old BIOS (ec. 1996 Award BIOS) may check these
  reserved bits as the Power On self-Test (POST).  The ISA serial
  ports will not display in the system summary information, but these
  serial ports will work correctly.  The newer BIOS (since 1997 Award
  BIOS) has improved the test method of serial ports and will not
  check these reserved bits.  The ISA serial ports will be tested Ok
  and display in the system summary information.

>From Page 4:

* TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION:

Compatibility:    - 486/586/Pentium/Pentium-II/III
Operating system: - WIN 95,98,NT, 2000, LINUX
Chips:            - 1 x SUN1699
Connections:
                  - 1 x 9Pin D-SUB male connector serial
PCB:              - 2 Layer / 103 x 54 mm

* NOTE:

A. Please Don't skip 3E8 and 2E8: The System have support Two RS-232 port
   ( 3F8 and 2F8 ), When you install any new Serial port, you must install
   Address 3E8 and 2E8 first, you can't skip 3E8 and 2E8, direct install
                                                                   Address
   in 250, 258,260,268,240,248,230,238

B. Don't setting same IRQ with other ISA card or system I/O Port: When
                                                                you select
   IRQ, Please don't select same IRQ with Other I/O card or system I/O port,
   because system performance and speed will be going down, Our 4020U2 isn't
   IRQ sharing, so don't setting same IRQ.

C. Don't Test ISA Serial Port 16c650 and 16c750 chipset with QAPlus and
   CheckIT: Because Our ISA chipset SUN1699 use IN1 and IN2 control FIFOs
   is 16c550 ( 16 FIFOs ) 16c650 ( 32 FIFOs ) and 16C750 ( 64 FIFOs ), The
   QAPlus and CheckIT also use this two signal to check 16c550 status, when
   16c550, we send IN1 and In2 is 0/0 , so test isn't problem, but when
                                                              16c650, we
   send IN1 and IN2 is 0/1, so QAPlus and CheckIT recieve different value, so
   they think 16c550 MODEM Ctl ERROR and MODEM Status ERROR.

   For this Error, only test program Value define, This isn't any relation
                                                                    with
   our card using in any system, Our card will working very correct in any
   device and system, don't worry about this error.

Hope someone can help

Jakob

--
This message is hastily written, please ignore any unpleasant wordings,
do not consider it a binding commitment, even if its phrasing may