Re: Problem with the installaion of debian locking up

on Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 06:01:53PM -0700, Mark Seven Smith (pampaluz@home.com) wrote:

> Sorry Karsten; I meant for this to go to the list, not only to
> you.  (I HATE WINDOWS!!!  This is Outlook Express, screwing up on
> where to send replies...)

Accepted.

I can send you a copy of SirCam if it will help expedite change ;-)

Color is just ANSI color in console or terminal.  Framebuffer is...hmmm.
Let's just call it an advanced display mode.  Don't think you're dealing
with it.

> >You also fail to specify what you've had on this box before and/or
> >whether you've had problems with other OSs.
>
> I can run Windows 2000 (but *why???*  YUCK!) and I am currently
> running Windows 98 (at least it isn't destroying what's left of
> my archives).  I can install and use Red Hat 5.2, 6.0, or 6.1;
> and SuSE 6.4 -- I've used them all, but I WANT to use Debian.

So:  each of the above works properly with this system?

> >Sounds like you're in dselect when this happens.
>
>  NOPE--I only got that far once!  (I've been bashing my head
> against this problem for awhile now; I can get father into the
> install routine by limiting what I select; for instance by not
> scrolling any lists.)

OK.  The question was asked to determine if there's any particular stage
of the install that's triggering the problem.  Answer seems to be:  "No,
the problem occurs at arbitrary points in the process".

> >It would be helpful to know which of the following have any effect:
>
> I'll try them.  Sometimes I can get the other consoles (alt-F2,
> alt-F3, etc.) and sometimes, I can never get back to the install
> screen.
>
> Once the install routine bombs, there are NO keys which will
> work--not any alt-F-keys, not control-alt-delete, not
> control-alt-backspace, nothing.

OK.  I'd suspect a bad driver somewhere, or bad hardware.

> >> Nothing can be done except to hit a hard RESET.
>
> >Define "hard reset".  Is this:
>
> NOPE--doesn't work.
>
> >  - warm-boot reset button on your system.
> >  - cold-boot (power-cycle) reset.
>
> BOTH of these will work.

OK.

> >I don't know if the installation kernel has Magic SysRQ compiled
> >in, if it does, you might care to try the following, in
> sequence:
>
> Kewl!  I'll try those!
>
> I've even tried different kernels (going by what the online
> instructions for Debian are) when trying to install.  This didn't
> help.
>
> >Have you tried another distro on this box?
>
> Yes.
>
> >I'd very strongly recommend trying the LNX-BBC bootable business
> card,
>
> Thank you *very* much; that sounds like a lot of fun!  I have
> never heard of it, but I am going to d/l it now...
>
> Uh, just got to the page; I don't actually have to cut & mold a
> CD-ROM disc to "business card size", just to use this distro, I
> hope?!  ;-)

No.  I've managed to pick up...about three different copies of it in the
past few days.  First was cut to a standard full-size CD.  Works fine,
it just feels funny in my wallet ;-)

> >Strongly recommend Googling this card.
> >and/or that using
> >framebuffer may be a good alternative.
>
> AAAAAARGH!  I've had a lot of trouble with VIDEO CARDS!  Every time I
> get a new one, I first try to find out if it will WORK IN LINUX--then
> I find out that "oh, yeah well it does, IF you hold your mouth *just*
> right, and sacrifice your first-born, and burn incense daily to its
> ancestors" or *something* like that.

Problem with cards is that it's not safe to assume a card works just
because a similarly named card from the same manufacturer works.
Specific chipsets are critical to know.

> The ATI Rage 128 is a pretty nice card; worked well in SuSE but I can
> see that I probably should get something *ELSE*, (AGAIN!!!), the card
> didn't work right away in Red Hat 6.1, I had to d/l new drivers that
> supported it.

There's a no-name card under the SiS 6326 chipset that's A) dirt cheap
(about US$35 a month or so back) and B) works pretty well under
GNU/Linux (problems configuring with XF86Setup as it doesn't like the
SVGA driver), but there are workarounds.  I checked up on another video
issues post yesterday and ran across a number of references to problems
with an ATI Rage 128 card.  I don't do scads of hardware myself, so I
really have to punt on most vidcard and soundcard issues.

> So: what works well with Debian?  Something that gives a pretty
> display, with lots of room on the KDE desktop (I like to surf the 'net
> with 1280x1024 resolution, I can have several windows showing this
> way).  Something COMPATIBLE, relatively inexpensive, and did I say
> compatible?

Take a look at the SiS card I mentioned.  It's dirt cheap at everyhere.
Linux Journal has had a few good hardware "dream machine" (coupled with
"down-to-earth" machine) issues.

> Oh and, BTW what's FRAMEBUFFER?  (URL would be fine, thanx!)

    Framebuffer HOWTO
    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO.html

    A framebuffer device is an abstraction for the graphic hardware. It
    represents the frame buffer of some video hardware, and allows
    application software to access the graphic hardware through a
    well-defined interface, so that the software doesn't need to know
    anything about the low-level interface stuff [Taken from Geert
    Uytterhoeven's framebuffer.txt in the linux kernel sources]

> Thanks very much for the info; and thanks in advance for your
> reply! :-)

That's what they pay me for.

...now wait JUST a minute...