From: "Mark Seven Smith" <pampaluz@home.com>
To: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2001 2:06 PM
Subject: Re: Problem with the installaion of debian locking up

 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2001 3:16 AM

>I presume this is in console mode, not X....or framebuffer.  You
>using that at all?

Yep, the install program is a console screen, NOT X.  I'm not
sure what "framebuffer" is, but the screens are in color (if gray
is a color), and no mouse, but you can scroll through lists with
the arrow keys.

>You also fail to specify what you've had on this box
>before and/or
>whether you've had problems with other OSs.

I can run Windows 2000 (but *why???*  YUCK!) and I am currently
running Windows 98 (at least it isn't destroying what's left of
my archives).  I can install and use Red Hat 5.2, 6.0, or 6.1;
and SuSE 6.4 -- I've used them all, but I WANT to use Debian.

>Sounds like you're in dselect when this happens.

 NOPE--I only got that far once!  (I've been bashing my head
against this problem for awhile now; I can get father into the
install routine by limiting what I select; for instance by not
scrolling any lists.)

>It would be helpful to
>know which of the following have any effect:

I'll try them.  Sometimes I can get the other consoles (alt-F2,
alt-F3, etc.) and sometimes, I can never get back to the install
screen.

Once the install routine bombs, there are NO keys which will
work--not any alt-F-keys, not control-alt-delete, not
control-alt-backspace, nothing.

>> Nothing can be done except to hit a hard RESET.

>Define "hard reset".  Is this:

NOPE--doesn't work.

>  - warm-boot reset button on your system.
>  - cold-boot (power-cycle) reset.

BOTH of these will work.  I just hit the RESET button on the
front of my machine.  And my new power supply has a switch on it
(otherwise I have to unplug the computer and plug it back in for
a cold reset; the power switch on the front of the tower is
disabled once the computer is on, for some reason; it is attached
to the motherboard properly, according to the manual, so I don't
know what is wrong.  But the power supply's switch will work, and
so will the RESET button.)

>I don't know if the installation kernel has Magic SysRQ compiled
>in, if it does, you might care to try the following, in
sequence:

Kewl!  I'll try those!

I've even tried different kernels (going by what the online
instructions for Debian are) when trying to install.  This didn't
help.

>Have you tried another distro on this box?

Yes.

>I'd very strongly recommend trying the LNX-BBC bootable business
card,

Thank you *very* much; that sounds like a lot of fun!  I have
never heard of it, but I am going to d/l it now...

Uh, just got to the page; I don't actually have to cut & mold a
CD-ROM disc to "business card size", just to use this distro, I
hope?!  ;-)

>Strongly recommend Googling this card.
>and/or that using
>framebuffer may be a good alternative.

AAAAAARGH!  I've had a lot of trouble with VIDEO CARDS!  Every
time I get a new one, I first try to find out if it will WORK IN
LINUX--then I find out that "oh, yeah well it does, IF you hold
your mouth *just* right, and sacrifice your first-born, and burn
incense daily to its ancestors" or *something* like that.

The ATI Rage 128 is a pretty nice card; worked well in SuSE but I
can see that I probably should get something *ELSE*, (AGAIN!!!),
the card didn't work right away in Red Hat 6.1, I had to d/l new
drivers that supported it.

So: what works well with Debian?  Something that gives a pretty
display, with lots of room on the KDE desktop (I like to surf the
'net with 1280x1024 resolution, I can have several windows
showing this way).  Something COMPATIBLE, relatively inexpensive,
and did I say compatible?

Oh and, BTW what's FRAMEBUFFER?  (URL would be fine, thanx!)

Thanks very much for the info; and thanks in advance for your
reply! :-)

--mVIIs