newbie APT troubles

Ok, bear with me, I'm new to the Debian thing.

Just dist-upgraded my Progeny system for the first time. Lots of yummy new software, no problems.

But now, I want to get some other new packages, and upgrade some that dist-upgrade didn't. For example, I want Evolution. Seems Evolution is only in 'unstable'. So, I uncomment the debian-unstable line in sources.list. Then, I 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get install evolution'. Whoah, problem:

    evolution: Depends: gtkhtml but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libcamel0 (= 0.12-1) but it is not going to be installed Depends: bonobo (>= 1.0.7) but 1.0.4-1.0progeny1 is to be installed Depends: bonobo-conf (>= 0.7) but it is not going to be installed
                Depends: libcamel0 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgnomeprint15 (>= 0.29-1) but it is not going to be installed Depends: libgtkhtml14 (>= 0.11.1) but it is not going to be installed
   E: Sorry, broken packages

Whadya mean, "but it is not going to be installed". You mean you can't? Or you just won't? Do you have some sort of grudge against those packages? And what's up with "Depends: bonobo (>= 1.0.7) but 1.0.4-1.0progeny1 is to be installed"??? I don't recalling asking for anything but evolution to be installed. Why is it telling me that "1.0.4-1.0progeny1 is to be installed", and why can't it just install the one it needs? And what about that "Broken packages" messages?

"OK", I think, let's try this 'dselect' thingy... I select "evolution", and all's well until I hit the "Install" command... suddenly it wants to confirm an *enourmous* list of unrelated adds, removals, and upgrades with me. ("462 packages upgraded, 122 newly installed, 117 to remove and 7 not upgraded") *Whoa*, I never asked for all those. I just wanted Evoultion. I try again with diety, same story.

This is just one example. I've had the same thing happen trying to upgrade kde, or install CUPS, or Webmin, or stormpkg, or various others. Ever since the dist-upgrade, any package that isn't part of Progeny's distribution (stable, testing, or unstable) gives me the same kind of grief when I try to install or upggrade it. It's a different list of packages each time, but the same type of issues with apt-get, dselect, and deity.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks much,

Avdi B. Grimm