From: "Dave Sherohman" <esper@sherohman.org>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: caps lock...num lock...whatever...

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:24:04AM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Quoting Jeff Maxson(jbmaxson@surfglobal.net):
> > ok, even stupider. I meant num lock, not caps lock.  how do you turn on
> > num lock by default?
> >
> Heve you checked the bios?  ISTR a bios setting for setting the num
> lock state.  Just checked the manual for a system and found it in the
> Advanced setup section of the AMIBIOS.  Its called Bootup Num-Lock, in
> this bios anyway.

Yes, pretty much every BIOS has an initial-numlock-state toggle.
However, Linux cheerfully ignores it and turns numlock off when it
boots.  AFAICT, this is not configurable without hacking the kernel
source.[1]

To get numlock turned on in console mode, add the following to
~/.bash_profile:

if tty > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
  case $(basename `tty`) in
    tty[1-9])
      setleds +num
      ;;
  esac
fi

To get numlock turned on in X, go to freshmeat, download, build, and
install numlockx, and add the line "/usr/local/bin/numlockx on" to
one of your X startup files.  (I use wdm and have placed it in
/etc/X11/wdm/Xsetup_0; if you don't use wdm, you'll have to find
somewhere else that works.)

[1]  Does anyone know _why_ it does this?  Seems to me like a pretty
stupid design decision...

--
With the arrest of Dimitry Sklyarov it has become apparent that it is not
safe for non US software engineers to visit the United States. - Alan Cox