Re: Sound Card [continued]

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 07:31:39 EDT, JakeCatfox@aol.com wrote:

> **Is there a way I can use my sound card (the BTC one) without using OSS? OSS
> ** won't seem to work with my kernel, and I can't find a driver anywhere else.
> ** Is there a module I can just load?

Eh? OSS is a part of kernel. If it won't work you made a mistake. To find out
what is going wrong, you should post here the error messages, so we can get
more idears to give you suggestions what to do.

Can your kernel detect your sound card correct?

Is your sound card a plug and play card? If yes you have to install pnp support.

Are you shure your sound card is supported by OSS?

If you like to install OSS as modules, you can use modconf, which must be
installed, if not on HD. Modconf is a tool to install kernel modules and it
is very easy to use.

Alternate you can look at www.alsa-project.org. ALSA is an other project like
OSS. If ALSA supports your sound card, you can install ALSA instead of OSS.
But not all sound tools can work with ALSA so i recommend you to use OSS if
possible.

Timo