Re: /etc/apt/sources.list question... Where are they?

	Subject: Re: /etc/apt/sources.list question... Where are they?
	Date: Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 10:54:50PM -0500

Quoting will trillich(will@serensoft.com):
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 08:05:02PM -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
> >
> > Quoting will trillich(will@serensoft.com):
> > > # dpkg -S apt-setup
> > > base-config: /usr/sbin/apt-setup
> > > base-config: /usr/share/debconf/templates/apt-setup.templates
> > > base-config: /usr/share/man/man8/apt-setup.8.gz
> > >
> > > # apt-get install base-config
> > >
> > > # apt-setup
> > >
> > > and of course
> > >
> > > # lynx http://newbieDoc.sourceForge.net/system/apt-get-intro.html
> > will
> >
> >   Not in potato or woody, guess the newbies are runing unstable now??
>
> i'm running potato -- and dpkg tells me that apt-setup came in
> the base-config package. or did i bypass something somehow?

Ya got me?  I tried apt-cache search, dpkg -S, locate, and whereis on both
potato and Woody and came up empty.  So thought that you must have
moved to the unstable branch.  Just checked and found that one of the
potato boxes does have apt-setup.  Seems that the most recent, bare
bones install, is the only box that has base-config installed.

I will now retreat to the corner, sit on the stool and put on my dunce
cap.  Thank you for the latest lesson in 'Just because you can't see
it doesn't mean is isn't there'.

Excerpt from apt-cache show base-config
 It can be removed with no ill effects -- now that your Debian system is
 installed, this package's only useful function is to allow you to
 reconfigure some of the things it asked you about earlier.

I can only guess that one of the many upgrades removed it.
I sure don't recall doing it.

Thanks Will!!

Best regards
Wayne
--
If your computer says, "Printer out of Paper," this problem cannot be
resolved by continuously clicking the "OK" button.