Re: X server can't find mouse

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 10:14:12PM -0400, richard wrote:
> Have run xf86config several times. At startx it seems to be loading but
> then server crashes with fatal message that server can't find the mouse
> -- no such file or device. It's just a regular 2-button mouse. Microsoft
> protocol works fine with this mouse on the same box on another partition
> with Red Hat and later Mandrake.
> I did try ln -s /dev/ttys0 /dev/mouse but it still didn't see it. I
> don't know how to find or configure gpm or even what it is.
> Everything else seems to behave fine.
> What's missing?

Give -
ln -s /dev/psaux /dev/mouse
a try.  If you mean by regular a ps/2 mouse.  You don't even need the
link really.  Make sure "Section "Pointer" in your /etc/Xll/XF86config
file has the correct "protocol" and "device."

gpm is a console mouse driver and sometimes conflicts with the mouse in
X.  I wouldn't mess with that until you have your mouse working in X.
hth,
kent