Re: ssh refuses connections

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Jason Majors wrote:

> I have four machines: a firewall, an internal server, and two workstations.
> When I try an SSH connection from the firewall to the server, or from outside
> the firewall using its port forwarding to go to the server, I get the error:

I had the same problem recently. It happened only when I've beed online
via some ISP. The problem was that my internal network uses 192.168.1.1
as the IP for this machine, and the ISP in question set up an rDNS entry
pointing to RFC1xxx. ssh was in paranoid mode and tried to resolve
RFC1xxx but failed and denied the connection.

You should check if "nslookup 192.168.1.1" or "host 192.168.1.1" gives a
name which doesn't resolve to 192.168.1.1.

Walter