Re: Choosing a Debian Variant

Debian unstable should be able to give you all of the end results you are
looking for. However, you also want to get these things easily -- ie, good
hardware detection, ReiserFS by default during the install, etc. This you
probably won't be able to do. I was recently in a similar situation to you
(wanting to migrate from RedHat). From my experience, installing debian will
be hard. You will spend long hours reading man pages and HOWTOs and banging
your head against the keyboard. You will do lots of posting to this mailing
list. But eventually, you will get everything to work right, and it will be
worth it. And installing debian the second time will be easy.
  My recommendation is, if possible, to install debian on a separate
partition, and keep mandrake around. This way you can take your time figuring
debian out, and having a working computer in the mean time. Plus, you can
steal important things like XF86Config from Mandrake, rather than dealing
with the inferior configuration tools that debian provides.
  Once you have everything working in debian the way you want it, you can
delete your mandrake install and reclaim those partitions for something else.
Or, you can format and start over, after backing up your config files.
  The hardest part may be ReiserFS... AFAIK debian won't do this during the
install... you will probably have to roll a custom kernel and migrate
partitions after installation. But don't take my word on this... hopefully
someone more knowledgeable will post on this issue.

Or, you might find that Libranet or Stormix fit your needs.... I don't really
know anything about them.

Good luck,
Nathan