Re: Choosing a Debian Variant

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 07:29:39AM -0700, Avdi B. Grimm wrote:

> Here's what I want out-of-box:

No, I really shouldn't say it. But anyway. What you've just asked for
reads almost exactly like the specs for Mandrake 8.1 (due out in a month
or so). In my experience, you're not going to get this out-of-box from
Debian, because it tends to focus on stability rather than bleeding
edge (though you always have the option of moving to testing/unstable
via apt-get and friends), whereas Mandrake sticks the latest version of
everything in and tries to make it work together. Both paths have
merits. But if you want the latest stuff, you're not going to find it
in standard Debian without a fairly long upgrade process. Possibly
Progeny and others have more recent packages while still being based on
Debian, you might have some joy with them.