Re: Ethernet Card Setup

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 11:08:02PM +1000, Nathan Goss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new to Debian, and am having difficulty setting up my Network Card.
>
> I currently have a 3Com  3C905-TX   PCI  10/100 network card.
>
> It is apparently supported in the kernel distributed with the current Potato
> release. I have read that it should be auto-detected.
>
> It doesn?t seem to be detected and set up in the Debian Install.
>
> How do I go about configuring it?

The driver is complied as a module, rather than into kernel... just run
insmod to install it:

insmod 3c59x

Note that you'll need to include it in /etc/modules to have it insmod'ed at
startup:

echo 3c59x >> /etc/modules

You can now configure it with ifconfig, or edit /etc/network/interfaces to
have it configured at boot-up. Read the ifconfig(8) and the interfaces(5)
man pages for details.

Checking out the Ethernet-HOWTO at linuxdoc.org would be a smart move also...

HTH,
Iain