Re: Linux on Sony PlayStation 2

Hello,
thanks for this detailed reply ,-]
I carried together some more information, which might be useful to other
people, as well.

Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > At LinuxTag 2001 in Stuttgart, Germany, there was a Sony PlayStation 2
> > with Debian Linux shown at the Debian booth.
> > Unfortunately, I was at the LinuxTag, but not the booth.
> Oliver M. Bolzer presented it, but he had to leave on ?Friday? because of
> the university lessons. It was not the usuall PS2 which can be bought in
> Europe, but a newer (?still unreleased?) version, which only beta
> testers received. It don't have FireWire, but a harddisk instead.
Ohhh, that's interesting!
Do You have any information on how to get into this beta-test program ?!

> And it was not a Debian system presented there, but a product of Sony, a
> strange distribution based on RedHat and their own extensions. IMHO it
> should not be too complicated to port Debian to it when the basic Debian
> development apps are ported and an autobuilder can be setup.
OK, I found a page with a screenshot on it ,-] (* see doc at the end for
link *)

> The arhitecture: it is not SuperH, it is a variant of mipsel, called
> mipsEEl or so (IIRC with EE for Emotion Engine). Oliver talked with a
> guy which was more familiar with kernel development and the consens was,
> it is mostly mipsel compatible except of two instructions missing in the
> instruction set of this CPU. This instructions may be emulated in the
> kernel, so may be possible to get the existing mipsel software running
> on the Playstation 2 (second release).
Yes, I got the instruction set of the CPU; as well as a cross-compiler
and linker.

I carried together some more information, which might be useful to other
people, as well.
If You find any bugs, or would like to add information to it or have
comments/flames I'd happily integrate them (well, except the flames
,-]).

Greetings,
raY

Rainer Keller           Mail: Keller@hlrs.de
Allmandring 30          WWW: http://www.hlrs.de/people/keller
70550 Stuttgart         Tel. 0711 / 685 5858