Re: install x

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Markus Hansen wrote:

Hello Markus,

you want to read this http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren/

> smokez
> it always says fail to start x ...:-(
> when i write startx it has this white black dotted background with a
> hypersensitive or not working mouse at its bottom.

This looks like X is starting but no window manager. Try startx kde2 (if
KDE2 is installed or wmanager or what ever wm is on your system). You can
specify the default wm in your .xsession file.

> i want to be able to set up such a system alone, ok with help from a
> mailinglist...

That's good idea and the only way to learn Linux.

> > Markus Hansen wrote:
> > > can someone tell me how to set up x server and xwindows or kde 2.2?
> > > i have a diamond viper 550 (tnt)
> > > a logitech mouse (black logo)
> > > and an iiyama a701g monitor.

I presume you have Debian 2.2 installed. I would recommend using XF86Setup
to set up X. You probalby need the svga server and you'll need the vga server, but I think this was mentioned
before.

You wount get KDE2.2 for potato but 2.1. Look at http:kde.debian.net for
instructions.

Here you'll find links to various sites with apt-lines for potato wich are
not in the offical distri, like kerne 2.4 or XFree86 4.0.3

http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/debian/apt-sources/

Frank