Samba and PAM

I've been trying for a while now to get Samba to work with Windows 2000 and
XP with encrypted passwords (I don't want to use cleartext).  I've got the
latest version from unstable (2.2.1a-3).

I'm not using a domain, just workgroup so the compatibility issues with XP
should be non-applicable.

In my smbd.log I get:

[2001/08/16 02:48:30, 0] passdb/pampass.c:smb_pam_passcheck(830)
  smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth failed - Rejecting User <user> !

I've added the user to the samba user/passwd list using smbpasswd (i've done
it several times to make sure I didn't just accidentally mistype the
password or user) and my smb.conf file looks like this (irrelevant items
like log size and preserve case removed):

[global]
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        encrypt passwords = yes
        obey pam restrictions = yes