Re: dhcp with network restart problem

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 09:47:58PM +0200 or thereabouts, john wa wrote:
> yeah, i'm almost positive this must be the case now. it's definately not the
> firewall since i reset it with
>         iptables -F INPUT
>         iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
>
> and all that appears in syslog is
> Aug 18 19:28:41 nooworld pumpd[272]: PUMP: sending discover
> Aug 18 19:29:11 nooworld pumpd[272]: PUMP: sending discover

I am sure you did this, but be sure you set the OUTPUT chain to accept
when doing this test too.

> i've found some kernel parameters to force the card out of auto-negotiation
> so i'll have to play with those :) i don't suppose i can use the "media
> types" available in ifconfig and stick them somewhere in my
> /etc/networking/interfaces can i?

Not sure-- but it is worth a shot-- no all cards can handle it.  What I
do is put my ethernet card module name in /etc/modules and then added the
parameters in the usual debian way in the directory /etc/modutils.  This
way the module is always available, and that is really what I want for my
computer.

All that said, good luck-- but if it still doesn't work, try a different
dhcp client (dhcp-client, dhcpcd).  I had problems with pump personally.

Jamie

--
"The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it."  -- Author unknown

Email:                  jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP Public Key ID:  26384A3A
GPG/PGP Fingerprint:    D9FF DF4A 2D46 A353 A289  E8F5 AA75 DCBE 2638 4A3A