Re: dhcp with network restart problem

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 08:48:26PM +0200 or thereabouts, john wa wrote:

> all syslog says during a restart is "PUMP: sending discover" (twice) and
> never hears anything back from a dhcp server. could it have anything to do with
You could be having a problem with your nic at 100baseTX when your
isp is at 10BaseT, but it sounds like your kernel sets that up right
initially, but it would be worth looking into if the module gets
unloaded and reloaded wrong.

However, your comment regarding pump says that it is not 'kernel code'
but in fact pump.  You saying it never hears anything back is
definitely suggestive that the packets are being blocked.  What
happens if you bring down your firewall and let all packets in, then
run /etc/init.d/networking restart?  You may have said you did this,
already, but I wasn't sure based on your email.

If the above works, you need to adjust your firewall rules.  If it does
not, then I suggest trying dhcp-client or dhcpcd.  The former is from
ISC, and is what I personally use.  In the past, I had problems using
pump whenever I tried to restart it, but my understanding is pump
works better now-- like I said though, I use dhcp-client now.

If you get it to work, but can't get the firewall rules right, I
would be happy to help with that if you want to send me your
/var/log/syslog file that has the DROPed packets logged.  I don't
need the whole thing, so just grep out the firewall stuff and send
me that.

Jamie Strandboge
--
"The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it."  -- Author unknown

Email:                  jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP Public Key ID:  26384A3A
GPG/PGP Fingerprint:    D9FF DF4A 2D46 A353 A289  E8F5 AA75 DCBE 2638 4A3A