Re: testlocale (was Re: Perl warning in apt-get operations...)

* Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
<SNIP>
> testlocale is just a spurious thing I made up on the spot, because
> sometimes it's difficult to tell whether a locale is working at all.
> Don't worry about it. locale(1) might be a more useful tool.

Yeah, I got that.  It was just useful to build and use to verify my
settings.  I was trying to get my environment set up so that I could get
these characters available in all my apps, including my beloved mutt.
I'm growing weary of things like "?", "/234" or something in place of
meaningful chars.

> In your .bash_profile or .bashrc or whatever, you need to set your
> locale variables appropriately. Perl's documentation (in the
> perllocale(1) man page) is quite a useful reference.
>
> > Could you please enlighten me as to the syntax of the file in
> > question?
>
> They're just shell scripts.

Yes, but I haven't got it working.  I'm just learning shell scripting,
so I'd like to see a snippet of someone's .bashrc or .bash_profile, as
appropriate.  My attempts (which I've since removed) to date haven't
had much of a useful effect.  I was hoping to have proper 8-bit charset
support available instead of the 7-bit this "C" set is supposed to give.
This other charset is ISO-8859-1, correct?

Or am I misunderstanding the way this works?

TIA,
Mike Pfleger

There's seventy brilliant people on earth.
Where are they hiding?
"Yashar" -Cabaret Voltaire (off of "2x45")