Re: testlocale (was Re: Perl warning in apt-get operations...)

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 11:44:08AM -0700, Mike Pfleger wrote:
> I've just stumbled into this thread, and have a tangental question.  If I
> want to be able to see other characters (ie. German umlauts, etc.) what
> needs to be done here?

Where do you need to see them? Provided that your normal locale has a
compatible character set (English and German locales often do, for
instance), then you should be able to see them already. You may need
some special settings: for instance, 'export LESSCHARSET=latin1' will
make less display German umlauts correctly. Failing that, just try
setting your locale to that of the country in question (using 'export
LC_ALL=de_DE' or whatever) and seeing what happens. If you have specific
problems, post them here.

> I was able to do the test you've outlined above, and I got all the same
> results as you did.  Now what?  Is this supposed to be set in my:
> 	.bash_profile
> or where?

testlocale is just a spurious thing I made up on the spot, because
sometimes it's difficult to tell whether a locale is working at all.
Don't worry about it. locale(1) might be a more useful tool.

In your .bash_profile or .bashrc or whatever, you need to set your
locale variables appropriately. Perl's documentation (in the
perllocale(1) man page) is quite a useful reference.

> Could you please enlighten me as to the syntax of the file in
> question?

They're just shell scripts.

Cheers,