Re: Ximian Gnome, Woody, and libgnomeprint11

Tudor,

I've had pretty much the same problem as well, and I still don't have a
resolution. :-(

> I have a Sid system, and I'd like to get Ximian Gnome 1.4 and Evolution
> installed on it.  I added
> deb http://eliot.landrum.cx/packages potato main
> to /etc/apt/sources.list, did an apt-get update, and then
> apt-get install task-ximian-gnome.

I ended up in dependency-hell via a different route:  I had potato
installed, then installed Ximian Gnome + Evolution on top of that.  This
all worked fine, until yesterday when I decided to move up to woddy (I
need some newer release dev tools).  I changed my sources.list, did an
'apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade', and then went off to watch a
movie.

When I returned, it had downloaded a ton of .deb's, and had a ton of
dependency errors.  The first was with libpgsql2.1, which I fixed
manually (to get the new Postgres going).  Then I had a nasty problem
with libdb2, involving the "libdb.so.3 not found" error mentioned
elsewhere.

I found it strange that the problem with libdb.so.3 came up late last
year with an update of libc6, but according to Branden it was fixed long
before the version I had installed.  I tried to fix this with 'dpkg
--configure --pending' and 'apt-get dist-upgrade', but in the end I went
to /var/apt/cache/... and manually did a 'dpkg -i' on libdb2 and
libdb2-util.  Then I had problems with libncurses5 and libreadline4, and
*finally* managed to get the system going again.

Fortunately I didn't have to resort to any hackery; simply using the
standard commands (ie. without 'force'-ing anything) got just about all
of it fixed.  Except for this libgnomeprint bunsiness!

> The downloading and installation went fine, except for libgnomeprint-bin
> and libgnomeprint11.  A couple of packages had dependencies on
> libgnomeprint11 (evolution, bonobo) which I overrode with dpkg and it
> seems those were installed OK.
>
> What's left is to finish the configuration of libgnomeprint11.  This is
> what happens when I try to do so:
>
> fnord:~# dpkg --configure libgnomeprint11
> Setting up libgnomeprint11 (0.25-ximian.6) ...
> dpkg: error processing libgnomeprint11 (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  libgnomeprint11
>
> No indication as to what the problem might be, no line numbers in the
> post-inst script that fail, nothing.
>
> Any ideas?

I get this:

# apt-get install libgnomeprint-bin
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libgnomeprint-bin
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 146  not
upgraded.
3 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/9840B of archives. After unpacking 30.7kB will be used.
debconf: (not preconfiguring packages since apt-utils is not installed)
(Reading database ... 66284 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libgnomeprint-bin (from
.../libgnomeprint-bin_0.28-0.1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/libgnomeprint-bin_0.28-0.1_i386.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/share/man/man1/gnome-font-install.1.gz',
which is also in package libgnomeprint11
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libgnomeprint-bin_0.28-0.1_i386.deb

So it looks like the Debian stuff depends on one version of
libgnomeprint and the Ximian stuff depends on another.  But between v11
and v15, they both want to own this one file (the
gnome-font-install.1.gz mentioned above), which is why they can't both
be installed at the same time.

Perhaps somebody with more apt/dpkg experience can advise on the best
solution?

--
Gavin Baker // gavinb*antonym_org // Linux, Python, Esperanto, MIDI,
Cheese