Re: dhcp with network restart problem

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 11:51:19AM +0200 or thereabouts, john wa wrote:
> i have a dodgy cable modem which frequently cuts out requiring it to
> re-negotiate the link. my firewall/irc box often fails to come back after some cut
> outs.

> sometimes the interface remains up with the correct IP address but for some
> reason it can't find anything on the 'net. the dhcp lease has been the same
> for 2 months now so it's not the IP address given to the modem changing.

Sounds to me like you are dropping the packets needed by dhcp.  Check
/var/log/syslog when you /etc/init.d/networking restart, and see if you
are dropping packets.  It would work on reboot because the firewall script
almost always runs after setting up networking.

Regarding the 'dodgy cable modem', I thought I had a dodgy cable modem,
until I realized I was blocking out a particular igmp packet from my ISP.
I looked in my logs, and set up a rule to accept the packet from the ISP,
and now I can leave my computer on for months (6 to be exact) without
any dhcp problems.

Jamie Strandboge

--
"The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it."  -- Author unknown

Email:                  jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP Public Key ID:  26384A3A
GPG/PGP Fingerprint:    D9FF DF4A 2D46 A353 A289  E8F5 AA75 DCBE 2638 4A3A