Re: Maildir and MAIL environment variable?

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 09:09:29AM -0700, Craig Dickson wrote:

> Why would you be running an MUA that doesn't understand maildir format
> if you store all your mail in maildir folders? This seems like one of
> those "If it hurts when you do that, don't do it" situations.

That would happen in a multi-user environment, in which I plan to
implement Maildir spools. Since I'm not interested in patching every
possible mail software people want to use (e.g. Pine) to support
maildirs, I want to make sure they won't do horrors accidentally,
instead of accessing the mailboxes via IMAP, for example.

> The proper value of $MAIL depends what software you're using, and what
> those programs expect to find when they look at $MAIL and the file or
> directory it points to. I suggest reading the man pages for your MTA,
> MUA, and whatever other programs may be involved in transporting or
> viewing your mail, to see what they expect. With any luck, there will be
> a single setting that is compatible with all of them. If not, try
> switching to other software as needed.

Well, IMHO the proper (default) value of MAIL only depends on the
place where the MTA delivers the mail to. I cannot cater for the needs
of users using procmail (or similar filters), but they are usually
proficient enough to manually set MAIL to their liking.

--
Matti Airas               Subfossiili männynkäpy viruu piipun hyöyssä.
mairas@iki.fi