Maildir and MAIL environment variable?

Hi,

I wonder which would be the proper way to set MAIL environment
variable when delivering mail to $HOME/Maildir? If I only set
QMAIL_DIR in /etc/login.defs, I get the additional MAILDIR environment
variable, but MAIL still points to /var/spool/mail/$USER. I can set
MAIL_FILE to "Maildir/", which has the desired effect of having MAIL
set to /home/$USER/Maildir/, but is that calling for trouble? For
example, is it possible for MUAs etc. not understanding the Maildir
format to wreck havoc in the mail directory?

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people..."

Best regards,

--
Matti Airas               Kauan eläkööt taian hohde, täpläfeeniks sekä
mairas@iki.fi             Pörröpupu.