Re: Netscape as root, sndconfig

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 12:38:12PM +1000, Tony Bartholomaeus wrote:
> One of the great things about Linux is the freedom of choice it offers,
> letting me do things the way I want to. Any information and suggestions will
> be gratefully accepted, but if someone tries to TELL me how to run my own
> computer, or deride me because they don't agree with my methods, then can
> you blame me for getting defensive?

Unix systems are very complex, and although there may be many
different ways to accomplish the same task, not all are necessarily
safe.  Say, for example, many people chose to run netscape as a root
user, and opened themselves to some security exploit.  Then, a worm
appears that uses the exploit to spread onto many systems, and create
a Code Red type situation.  Then, the brilliant ISPs such as mine
decide to do me the "favor" of blocking port 80 and thus killing my
web server.

When we tell you how to run your own system, it's because we want to
minimize stupid scenerios like this.  It's entirely too easy to shoot
yourself in the foot, and possibly take others down with you on a Unix
system.  Can you blame us for getting defensive?

Some things, like your choice of window manager or editor, are
completely open to personal choice.  However, when it comes to system
administration and root exploits, you need to be a little more careful.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>