Using Say in Chatscripts

What I understand from "man chat", the "SAY" command should echo out messages when using "pon". However, although I can get dialed up, I do not see the expected informational messages. Here's the contents from my "/etc/chatscripts/provider":

# This chatfile was generated by pppconfig 2.0.5.
# Please do not delete any of the comments.  Pppconfig needs them.
#
# ispauth PAP
# abortstring
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO DIAL TON
# modeminit
SAY "Resetting modem ...\n"
'' ATZ
SAY "Setting modem speaker to OFF ...\n"
OK ATM0
SAY "Dialing ACU at 555-5555 ...\n"    <-- Fake number for this posting
# ispnumber
OK-ATM0-OK ATDT555-5555
SAY "Waiting for connection ...\n"
# ispconnect