low power PC

>"slow" I mean *slow*, in my case it´s a Pentium
>166 *down*clocked to 50 MHz (25 MHZ PCI-clock *
>2). There is no such thing as "hardware
>acceleration" in "slow" machines...
>
>For passive cooling, right? I considered to tune
>my old machine too - K6-2-400, downclocked to
>166Mhz or so, no harddisks, low-powered cooler
>where possible... would be nice for my ears.
>
>The reason here is that the box runs 24/7/365 and
>it´s on my electric-power-bill. Not to mention
>that I don´t need any other heating in winter in
>that room (and winter ´round here means down to
>-15 - -25 degC).

I am also very interested in finding a way to run
a PC on minimal power. As the above folks mentioned,
I want to put a server online 24 hours and keep
the box cool and keep the electric bills low.

I understand how to do downclocking by resetting
jumpers. And I could install a LCD monitor, or
just turn the monitor off when I'm away from the
machine. What I don't understand though is how to
power down a hard disk (or how to install without
a hard disk). I've heard of people running Linux
off a CD, floppy, zip or a ram disk, but seems to
me like if would have to be a very minimalist
system, and I don't know how you could run a
server that way. But I'm open to any suggestion
about how to cut power consumption to the
bone. Any ideas? I don't need a very powerful
server, but it should be capable of running
Apache and Postfix all day - if that can be done
without a hard disk, I'd appreciate some
suggestions on how to set it up.

 - Chiu Miaoling