Kernel image installed. Now what?

Hello everyone,

I did an apt-get of the 2.2.19 kernel image .deb package and installed it.
I went through the prompts, rebooted, and did a modconf.  Still one problem
- my system still says I have 2.2.10 installed.  I checked my LILO.conf,
changed the "image=" line to the vmlinuz-2.2.19 file and the "map=" line to
System.map-2.2.19 or something like that.  I rebooted again.  I did the
"uname" command - still the same information: 2.2.10.  I thought I upgraded
my kernel.  The new 2.2.19 binaries are in the /boot directory. What's
going here?  How do I get the debian packages to install and implement
correctly?  Or is the system information I'm getting bogus?  How do I know
if I really installed 2.2.19?

Thanks for considering this matter.

Terence Sheridan
soapbox@SoftHome.net