Re: Cox cable modem and debian

On Thursday 16 August 2001 15:14, Michael Heldebrant wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2001 15:10:24 -0700, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
>
> Tale of woe snipped

> > > Silly question...  You are root right?  I don't see the # prompt.  Can
> > > we also see parts of /var/log/syslog with pump relevant info?  The
> > > output from ifconfig, /etc/network/interfaces and /proc/modules would
> > > be helpfull.  Cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr to make sure it's one
> > > now too please.
> > >
> > > --mike
> >
> > Mike,
> >
> > Yes, I was root. I removed most of my prompt for this email but left that
> > so you would understand I was doing this at a command prompt :) I've
> > added an excerpt of my log file. Also, you can see the interfaces file as
> > it now
>
> Do you have any firewall rules at the moment?  ipchains -L -v -n output
> may show something.  Sorry to be demanding all this input from you, I'm
> still fishing for something that seems wrong.  So far everything seems
> ok.
>
> The only other thing that I can think of at the moment would be to try
> and power cycle both the cable modem and the computer.  I seem to have a
> problem where my cable modem will not connect no matter what unless I
> reboot.  I'm still investigating why.
>
> --mike

Mike,

I do have ipchains running:

YOU ARE ROOT!! on cx1243895-a
~ pts/2> ipchains -L -v -n
Chain input (policy ACCEPT: 3680 packets, 1560984 bytes):
 pkts bytes target     prot opt    tosa tosx  ifname     mark       outsize
source
     destination           ports
    0     0 DENY       udp  ------ 0xFF 0x00  ppp0
0.0.0.0/0
    0.0.0.0/0             * ->   137
    0     0 DENY       udp  ------ 0xFF 0x00  ppp0
0.0.0.0/0
    0.0.0.0/0             * ->   138
    0     0 DENY       udp  ------ 0xFF 0x00  ppp0
0.0.0.0/0
    0.0.0.0/0             * ->   139
    0     0 DENY       tcp  ------ 0xFF 0x00  ppp0
0.0.0.0/0
    0.0.0.0/0             * ->   137
    0     0 DENY       tcp  ------ 0xFF 0x00  ppp0
0.0.0.0/0
    0.0.0.0/0             * ->   138
    0     0 DENY       tcp  ------ 0xFF 0x00  ppp0
0.0.0.0/0
    0.0.0.0/0             * ->   139
Chain forward (policy ACCEPT: 0 packets, 0 bytes):
Chain output (policy ACCEPT: 3634 packets, 311915 bytes):
YOU ARE ROOT!! on cx1243895-a
~ pts/2>

I will try to gain yet another laptop and see if the MAC has anything to do
with this mess. As far as I could find on the cablemodem-howto, @home doesn't
have the mess of the MAC address. as you can also see, I have changed the
name of my computer host (blowing the lan apart for the time being) to deal
with the IDENDINTITY hupla..