Re: strangeness when i do a df...

On Thursday 16 August 2001 14:48, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> "allen wayne best just ramblin in his amx" <debian@rl76065.cup.hp.com>
writes:
> > hello:
> >
> > i have a strange situation here. i had a user complain because /usr/sbin
> > appeared to be full. so when i do a df on the system, i get:
> > (actually, hdb6, hdb11, and hdb12 where at 100% when the user brought
> > this to my attention. i deleted some rather large .gz and .bz2 files in
> > /usr/src to get the numbers down to 95%. deleting in one area affected 3
> > areas????)
>
> How are you mounting these puppies? Make sure that you have /usr first
> in your /etc/fstab and that it contains the subdirectories "src" and
> "local".
>
> I'd umount them and mount them like:
>
> mount /dev/hdb12 /usr
> mount /dev/hdb11 /usr/local
> mount /dev/hdb6 /usr/src
>
> Looks to me like this isn't happening. Also, before you mount /usr
> make sure your root directory doesn't have the subdirectories
> /usr/local and /usr/src. That way the mounts of those two directories
> will fail if you attempt to mount them before you mount /usr.
>
> Gary

ahhhhh, i missed the other piece of information from /etc/fstab:
#
/dev/hdb1         /                    ext2    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdb5        none                    swap    sw              0 0
proc                /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda6        /mnt/hda6               ext2    noauto,owner,ro 0 2
/dev/hdb6        /usr/src                ext2    defaults        0 2
/dev/hdb7        /var1                   ext2    defaults        0 2
/dev/hdb10      /var                    ext2    defaults        0 2
/dev/hdb8        /opt                    ext2    defaults        0 2
/dev/hdb9        /tmp                    ext2    defaults        0 2
/dev/hda11      /home                   ext2    defaults        0 2
/dev/hdb11      /usr/local              ext2    defaults        0 2
/dev/hdb12      /usr                    ext2    defaults        0 2
/dev/hda1        /RedHat7.1/             ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda9        /RedHat7.1/opt          ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda10      /RedHat7.1/tmp          ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda8        /RedHat7.1/usr/local    ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda6        /RedHat7.1/usr/src      ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda7        /RedHat7.1/var          ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom      iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro  0 0

i'll reorder the mount sequence (assuming a top to bottom mount order) and
see if that helps (when my users will allow me)

thanks for you heads up, gary!
--
regards,
allen wayne best

Today's snit invasion consists of 0.822058704681695 e +4.75693073483741 snits
(Approximated!)