Cox cable modem and debian

     Greetz,

I have been running myself through the ringer trying to get debian to log
onto my new Cox Communications cable modem using @home. I was given a new nic
(Dlink dfe-550tx) that wasn't supported by linux. I found a site and pulled
down source and attempted to build it for use on my 2.2.17 kernel (didn't
happen) then finally pulled down kernel 2.4.7, where it is supported. I can
boot up 2.4.7 and it sees both my nics (realtek and Dlink) and run pump but
it fails every time.

At this point, I removed my lan from my realtek and started attempting to get
pump to use that card (cat5 connection). It still failed.

I purged then re-installed pump and tried again using 2.2.17 kernel.

Finally, I rounded up an old win95 laptop. I had a TRENDnet pcmcia dual-nic
and loaded up windoz drivers for this. What a pain! Anyway, after dozens of
reboots and locating my very old win95 cdrom, was able to get the nic working
in this computer. Finally I loaded up some of the software Cox@home gives
you. It tried and died and would not get online with the cable modem. Huh. . .

A call to local cable buddy. We ponder the windoz network settings. Should
work. Using Winipcfg, I released all, then renewed all - fails. . . Finally
he asks, what's my Identity setting? I looked at my booklet and told him what
it said. He informs me that isn't right, it has to have at least this many
digits (forgot what number). I look at my reciept and there is a CX number.
Is this required? Yes(!) he reports.

I set the new identity tab, boot a few more times and it still fails. Then he
asks again what number I was given and then reports, that it is not correct!
. . . Okay, he gets on the telephone and comes back in a minute and says I
had the wrong number and we type in the new number, boot. Bingo, I am now
online with the cable modem with a DHCP'd ip address.

So, now I KNOW the cable modem works. I can smirf as fast as the old lap top
can go.

Back to my nics. I rename my computers HOSTNAME to the number and re-run
pump.. It fails. Next I issue the pump command using the -h hostname and -i
interface, and it still fails.

This is where I am. Sorry about the long post, but wanted to include the
background of where I've been.

Also note, I have read the cablemodem-howto at linuxdoc.org and not just the
@home entries, but all of them... I'm stumped.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.

thank you

--

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user \/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.