Help: lilo wasn't able to install...

Hello,

I have been trying to get Debian 2.2 r3 to install all night and have not
had any luck. I made it all the way to the point where Debian is supposed to
make itself bootable off of the hard drive. Every time it fails saying "lilo
wasn't able to install...". It even failed when trying to make the boot
floppy. I tried several blank formatted and unformatted floppies too.

I know this question has been asked before but the only references to it
that I could find were in Italian and Chinese. :(

I tried the following partition setup:

/boot		10mb
/		4000mb
/home		4000mb
/var		500mb
/swap		600mb

-[and]-

/		8500mb
/swap		500mb

Both had the same results. I even did a low-level SCSI format of the hard
drive just in case something was wrong with the boot sector. My hardware
configuration follows:

CPU: 		Pentium III 866MHz
Chipset:	Intel 815
Ram:		256MB