emacs unstable

I am running emacs (version 20.7 as far as I can dermine) on a
woody/unstable system and it happened twice that after cutting
a large block of text emacs just hang with the following error
appearing every few seconds (accomanied by a beep sound):

Timed out waiting for property-notify event.

Does anybody know what is going on here?

Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I
      do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son."
                                          John 14:13