xfstt and emacs: weird fonts

Greetings-

I've just been experimenting with xfstt on my two machines (home and
work), each running debian linux 2.2r3 (kernel 2.2.17pre19) to be able
to use truetype fonts.

At home, it worked fine until today.

At the office, emacs' menus showed up in a bizarre, bar-code font that
made emacs impossible to use. I turned off xfstt (actually just took
out the line that set X to use xfstt) and the problem went away.

Today, I had to reboot my home machine (first time in several weeks)
and when I did so, the emacs menus showed up in another strange
truetype font (looks like old west saloon writing).  It's useable, but
very odd.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any way to get emacs to use a
somewhat more normal font for the menus?

Thanks.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA