Re: How to answer

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 10:22:10PM +0200, Robert Waldner wrote:

> >>Many people object to being cc'ed (and so having to remember whether
> >>they've replied to one copy of the message when they've encountered the
> >>other one). If there's a Mail-Followup-To: header or a 'Mail-Copies-To:
> >>nobody', it's a good idea to honour it.
>
> s/Mail.*/Reply-To/
>
> Most MUAs will only know what to do with a Reply-To, not anything else.

I don't think this is really true, at least not in GNU/Linux land.
mutt and gnus support Mail-Followup-To: ... what else is there? :)

I agree with the original statement ... follow (or find an MUA that
follows) Mail-Followup-To: and/or Mail-Copies-To:

The Reply-To: issue has been discussed ad nauseum; some troll brings
it up every few months on d-devel.  Debian listmasters believe setting

> And, as I have learned recently on debian-isp, the policy on all
>  debian-lists is to reply to the list _only_ unless it was otherwise
>  requested.
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-isp/2001/debian-isp-200108/msg00096.html
>
> Anyone who knows the exact URL for that?

Of course I can no longer find it :/  I will admit that my memory
might be faulty and this is actually the policy for debian-devel, but
I'm reasonable sure my memory is correct.  I bet Branden knows the
reference for this nut he's got bigger fish to fry :)

> (Nathan, I cc´ed you because you might find that of interest, and I
>  don´t know if you also read -user..)

Thanks for including this note; I do subscribe to d-user and was
surprised to see this in my inbox :)

Best regards,

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.