Re: when procmailrc is wacky, what happens to the mail?

on Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 11:40:35PM -0400, Bill Lovett (blovett1@rcn.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 10:44:53PM -0400, dman wrote:
>
> > | .forward file goes a little something like this:
> > |
> > | "|IFS='' && exec /usr/bin/procmail || exit 75 #username"
> >

> FWIW, that line comes courtesy of one Timo Salmi, at:
> http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html#start
>
> It works, but is somehow less-than-optimal according to the procmail man page:
>
>        Procmail should be invoked automatically over the .forward
>        file mechanism as soon as  mail  arrives.
>
> But perhaps that is best left for another thread.
>
> > Do you have "DEFAULT" set in your .procmailrc?
>
> I do indeed, and The plot thickens:
>
> MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
> DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/INBOX
>
> It must be something funky with my regexes.

Do you have logging enabled?  I won't pretend to understand everything
procmail dumps to logs, but it certainly helps to have an audit trail.
There's also a verbose option.

You can also set a DebugBox to which all mail is dumped.  If you run
this early, it's also a good place to find things you'd otherwise
trashed ;-)