Re: when procmailrc is wacky, what happens to the mail?

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 10:21:15PM -0400, Bill Lovett wrote:
| A couple times now I've edited my .procmailrc file, unwittingly
| screwed something up, and only discovered my mistake after a day or
| two goes by with not a peep out of otherwise high traffic lists.
|
| But what happens to a message when procmail gets confused by a
| broken recipe?

It depends.  If you are matching more than you meant to it might be
going into a different folder or the bit bucket.  You need to be
careful with the regexes that you don't match too much.

| Nothing shows up in in /var/spool/mail. And my
| .forward file goes a little something like this:
|
| "|IFS='' && exec /usr/bin/procmail || exit 75 #username"

I'm not even going to try and understand this bit of shell and the
effects it has on your MTA, etc.  My .forward (school's Solaris
system) looks like

"|exec /home/stu12/s18/dsh8290/bin/procmail"

| The only explanation I can think of is that procmail is hiding the
| messages in the same place the clothes dryer likes to hide some of
| my socks from time to time  ;)

Do you have "DEFAULT" set in your .procmailrc?

-D