Re: Why is Debian lagging so much behind Slackware?

on Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 12:13:22AM -0400, Gilles Pelletier (gipe@videotron.ca) wrote:
> At 19:18 14-08-01 -0700, you wrote:
>
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> écrivait/wrote:

> > Debian/stable is aimed at production systems:  servers, embedded
> > systems, dedicated-use systems (e.g.:  public kiosk, POS terminal),
> > and some classes of desktops in which maintenance issues are to be
> > minimized.
>
> I see. That's why Debian is not in a rush to produce boot diskettes. It's
> not for people like us.

No.

Bootdisks aren't available yet because they're produced as one of the
later steps of the release process.  Bootdisks have to interact
properly with all the other portions of the release, as well as contain
the latest stable driver for hardware likely to be encountered during
install.

> >> We though about installing Woody, but, as you people know, the boot
> >> disquettes don't boot yet.  Potato must first be installed and an
> >> upgrade made to Woody. Newbies might not appreciate... =20
> >
> >For a network install, this is recommended and relatively painless.
>
> Yes. Mister Collins was saying that just before: why start anew... mainly
> when you don't even have a /home partition. Scary!

I'm not sure I understand.  With Debian, it matters little what version
of the distro you're installing.  When you set your
/etc/apt/sources.list file, you're specifying where you're going.  It's
possible to skip through a full release in many cases (though you might
not want to go back to a 'bo' release).

Again:

  - Base install
  - Modify sources.list
  - Resume installation *at current release* -- your pick, stable,
    testing, or unstable.

> > Yes, I've noticed.  Usually from the blood on the floor.
>
> Well, as you explained, Debian is not for newbies. Ergo, no blood on
> the floor. It's really clean!

You misunderstand.

I wasn't referring to Debian, I was referring to the bleeding edge.

There's a reason it's called bleeding:  things break, and you get hurt.
I've been using Unix for 14 years, GNU/Linux for four, Debian for two.
I've (more or less) got the skills to recognize when something's going
wrong, and to clean up when it happens.

Sticking to stable, tried, true, and, it's true, boring, releases of
stuff is going to be much safer.  You'll reduce the excitement level
significantly.