Re: Debian as a training system.

on Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 11:28:52PM -0400, Sean Morgan (macinslak@mac.com) wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:47:07 -0400

> I know I'm gonna piss everyone off, but Debian isn't appropriate for
> newbies who actually want to learn unix fundamentals.  Apt is a really
> great system and all, but it doesn't really fall into the "unix
> fundamental" catagory (yet ;). I also see a lot of people talking about
> the larger number of packages and ease distribution upgrades in Debian,
> the former is actually a detriment to someone who actually wants to learn
> how the OS works (hand installs are a learning experience) and the latter
> is not a consideration for those wet behind the ears (move to something
> civilized later).

> Slackware pushes a lot less automation and forces you to actually
> learn to use command line utils, edit scripts and text files, and
> generally pick up more skills that will actually be valuable if your
> travels in unixland should actually take you outside of its hallowed
> halls (god forbid).

I agree somewhat.  I fumbled a recent interview question (plug:  geek
for hire ;-) recently over what services are required to run a Samba
server.  NetBIOS name server, natch.  Damn Debian all to hell, but what
with the packaging system I didn't know, though I've tweaked Samba on
client and server side on a good dozen systems.  It just works.

That said, I think Debian is close enough to the Unix ideal,
particularly relative to any RPM-based system I've dealt with, that it
makes a good learning system.  With Debian, it's very possible to go
wading into config files and edit them to your heart's content (other
GNU/Linux distros are notorious for their "DON'T EDIT THIS FILE"
admonishments).  Slack's probably going to put you closer to the iron,
what I like about Debian is that you largely have a choice.  Let the
system handle it for you, largely transparently, and largely
functionally, or take matters into your own hands.

Another aspect of Debian helpful for the newbie-who-wants-to-learn is
that it's easy to get a working, minimal, base system, then craft
together a more complex system over time by adding packages.  It's sort
of like triptronic shifting:  you decide when to pull the lever, but the
system manages the throttle and the clutch for the cleanest, fasted,
smoothest possible shift (note:  I drive stick).  So there's a high
level of engagement with the process, but there's also a support net.

I'll note I got my own chops on Unix systems dating back to 1987 (well,
the late '70s if you want to be accurate), Red Hat, then Debian,
touching a whole lot of other stuff along the way.