Re: Why is Debian lagging so much behind Slackware?

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:47:07PM -0400, Gilles Pelletier wrote:
> We're a small group mulling over the respective merits of Debian and
> Slackware for a newbie. Of course, since apt-get takes care of installing
> dependencies and upgrading the whole installed software, we were leaning
> towards Debian. The newbie, even though his concerns for security are
> limited, wouldn't have to care too much about it.

If you have posted this here to start a flame war,
I would advise you to desist. Linux has enough problems
without inter-distro wars.

But as to the actual merits of the two distros - ever
heard of the Aesop's fable of the father and son who were taking their
ass to market to sell it? Well, Slackware resembles the point
at which both father and son were carrying the ass; Debian
the point at which both were riding the ass. An operating system,
imho, is a beast of burden. You probably get the point.

Sam
--
(Sam Varghese)
http://www.gnubies.com