Re: Why is Debian lagging so much behind Slackware?

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 10:26:42PM -0400, Mark Carroll wrote:
| On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:
| (snip)
| > If you want stable, you get it.  If you want unstable/testing (which
| > means:  usually works, occasionally tweaks), you get it.  Choice.  All
| > fully up to date.
| (snip)
|
| Well, to an extent. Sometimes when you report a problem with a package,
| the maintainer's reply is basically, "well, use the latest one from
| unstable or wherever, that should work, I'm not interested in fixing the
| old version too",

well, if the maintainer has already fixed the bug, why would he want
to fix it again?

| and then you have to update the things the package depends on too,
| and then before you know it it's easier not to use stable any more.

So you have some choices :
    a) live with the way stable is, even if there is a bug
    b) fix your own system
    c) update your system to the "current" version (ie testing)

| I like the idea of stable, though and, hey, I still get more than I
| pay for! (-:

:-).

I run woody because I wanted the new GNOME and some other stuff.  I
also really like the number of (good) packages -- way more than I
could find anywhere for RH!

One thing I've noticed is that Debian (and the community) is different
than other distros wrt to releases.  With other distros (eg RH or
Mandrake) the release is everything.  If you don't have a release then
the users get nothing new.  With Debian, however, the users who want
the latest stuff have it (from unstable or testing) and releases are
less important.  Instead the people who coordinate the releases focus
on stability even though it takes a while.

-D