Re: Woody and default keymap

on Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:39:30PM -0300, Daniel Toffetti (dtoffe@softhome.net) wrote:
> > > If I uninstall the console-tools and reinstall I can't select an
> > > new keytable and the old russian table was loaded. Where to hell is
> > > the configuration file to change this permanent?
> >
> >     /etc/console-tools
> >
> > Copy a keymap there named as 'default.kmap.gz'.  Check
> > /etc/init.d/console-tools for more info.
>
> I renamed the already existent 'default.kmap.gz' to
> 'default.kmap.gz.old' and copied there a new kmap, renamed to
> 'default.kmap.gz', but it did't worked. I tried with Latin1, ES-CP850
> and ES.

What happens if you try to load the map with loadkeys?  Check for
verbose options.  I've found that relocated files often don't find all
their referents properly.

> /etc/init.d/console-tools does not exist. I only found
> /etc/init.d/console-screen.kbd.sh and keymap.sh

I think console-screen is what you want.  That's in the console-tools
package.

> BTW, where can I found a detailed reference for keyboard layouts? I
> don't even know what is the keymap that corresponds to my keyboard.

No idea.  I just used the defaul US-en and it worked ;-)

> Perhaps I'm missing something obvious ? The documentation is very
> confusing to me (man loadkeys, keymaps, Keyboard-HOWTO) and if I'm
> guessing correct, it seems that there has been some kind of upgrade
> from kbd to console-tools, and I suspect some of the docs perhaps are
> not up to date. Is this correct ?

Quite probably.  I stumbled through a few things before I got them to
work myself.