gnome/mouseroller

I tried these questions with the newbie XFree list, to no avail.  So, I
thought I would try here.  thanks for any help.

1st things 1st: running debian, trying to get gnome working right,
trying wmaker and icewm, and my video card is ATI Rage Fury Pro (Rage 128
driver).  I couldn't get X to load with this video card in previous
releases using the debian installer stuff, since the driver wasn't there,
so I have all my gnome and everything else installed via the debian
packager, but X installed from XFree's binaries.  A bit weird, but...oh
well.  maybe I will re-install X the debian way when it catches up
(couple weeks, I guess, I'm running woody).  Ihave installed X on my
compaq laptop in the past, so I thought this would be easier...

1) how do I get gnome to run upon logging in from console?  Something to
do with .xsession or .xinitrc or something, right?  If I login from gdm, I
get gnome, but nothing seems to work right.  I have an .xinitrc with 1
line "icewm", and if I do a "startx" from the console, I can get icewm to
run, but no gnome.  (you can have both, right?  maybe I am hopelessly
confused.) Anyway, from console, ice, but no gnome, from gdm, gnome, but
no ice.  I want both.  how?

2) how do I get the scroller mouse button to work?

Thanks.

Jeff