Re: turning off xdm?

on Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 03:57:45PM -0700, Paul Mackinney (paul@mackinney.net) wrote:
> Karsten M. Self muttered:
> > on Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 05:01:28PM -0700, Eric G. Miller (egm2@jps.net) wrote:
> > As I point out in my "X Display Manager Repair & Removel Pre-Shrunk
> > Ultra-Mini HOWTO",

> And my wife thinks I'm a geek! Karsten, you are awfully quick with
> those URLs and I sincerely appreciate it.

;-)

> Here's the newbie answer to the original question, which I have lived:
>
> 1. Yes, deleting the xdm symlinks in /etc/rc2.d is perfectly
> acceptable.  When you want to run X, just run
>
>    su -c 'init 3'

Alternatively:

    $ su -c '/etc/init.d/xdm start'

> You'll be prompted for the root password and then xdm will start. The
> neat thing about this is that there's a good chance that xdm will get
> you into the desired window manager whereas running startx as a
> regular user will not. Life is wonderful

> 2. A week later, after getting awfully darn tired of su-ing all the
> time, figure out how to configure your local .xsession file for the
> desired window manager, deinstall xdm and just use startx.

Heh!

Here's an example for you:

    xsetbg -solid black		# background color.
    xscreensaver -nosplash & 	# screensaver
    xset +dpms			# enable screen blanking
    xset dpms 600 900 1200	# set it.
    xset fp+ unix/:7101		# fonts are good
    # X resources
    for file in $( find /etc/X11/Xresources -maxdepth 1 -type f );
    do
	xrdb -merge $file
    done
    unset file			# keep a clean environment
    exec wmaker			# Window manager is last client.

> Note that the biggest problem you're likely to encounter is that all of
> the man pages and docs will refer to your local .xsession file, which
> probably won't exist until you build it manually.

    ln .xsession .xinitrc.

In general, the files can be the same.  .xsession is used by xdm,
.xinitrc is used by startx.