Re: turning off xdm?

on Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 05:01:28PM -0700, Eric G. Miller (egm2@jps.net) wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 06:52:57PM -0500, Kevin C. Smith wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 05:39:38PM -0400, Bob Koss wrote:
> > >
> > > I upgraded my potato install to kernel 2.4.7. When I rebooted, I was
> > > greeted with a graphical login.
> > >
> > > How can I go back to booting to a shell prompt and then starting X if
> > > and only if I want to start X?  All of the runlevels except 1 seem to
> > > have xdm. Should I just pick a runlevel and delete the xdm in the
> > > corresponding rc.x directory?
> >
> > As root do:
> > # update-rc.d -f remove xdm
>
> The problem with that approach is it removes all of the symlinks for
> xdm.  While that sounds nice, the next time the xdm package gets an
> update, you will be surprised when all of the links have reappeared.
>
> Now, if you follow that by adding something like:
>
> (cd /etc/rc2.d ; ln -s ../init.d/xdm K99xdm)
>
> the you'll have at least one Kill link, and an update/upgrade won't
> reset all of the symlinks to their defaults.
>
> But there's not much point in keeping xdm around if one doesn't plan to
> use it...

For varying definitions of "use", there may well be.

As I point out in my "X Display Manager Repair & Removel Pre-Shrunk
Ultra-Mini HOWTO", it's possible to run an X display manager just for
managing remote connections.  This would allow running [xgkw]dm in one
or more runlevels, but only providing console logins at box itself.
This is configured in the /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers file.

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/GNU/Linux/FAQs/xdm-disable.html

...and, links, links, we gots yer links!

    http://void.box.sk/tutes.html  ;-)

Cheers.