Re: turning off xdm?

Karsten M. Self muttered:
> on Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 05:01:28PM -0700, Eric G. Miller (egm2@jps.net) wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 06:52:57PM -0500, Kevin C. Smith wrote:
> > > On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 05:39:38PM -0400, Bob Koss wrote:
> As I point out in my "X Display Manager Repair & Removel Pre-Shrunk
> Ultra-Mini HOWTO",
And my wife thinks I'm a geek! Karsten, you are awfully quick with those
URLs and I sincerely appreciate it.

Here's the newbie answer to the original question, which I have lived:

1. Yes, deleting the xdm symlinks in /etc/rc2.d is perfectly acceptable.
When you want to run X, just run

su -c 'init 3'

You'll be prompted for the root password and then xdm will start. The
neat thing about this is that there's a good chance that xdm will get
you into the desired window manager whereas running startx as a regular
user will not. Life is wonderful

2. A week later, after getting awfully darn tired of su-ing all the
time, figure out how to configure your local .xsession file for the
desired window manager, deinstall xdm and just use startx.

Note that the biggest problem you're likely to encounter is that all of
the man pages and docs will refer to your local .xsession file, which
probably won't exist until you build it manually.

HTH, PM
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net <- Please note new email address