Re: OT: SCSI hardware recommendation

Joerg Johannes <liste_joerg@gmx.de> writes:

> Ramin Motakef wrote:
> >
> > Joerg Johannes <liste_joerg@gmx.de> writes:
> >
> > > Hi List
> > >
> > > Has anybody of you a dual-channel SCSI-Controller working?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > joerg
> > >

> > I've just installed a Dawicontrol DC-2980 U2W Controller, wich works
> > just fine and is cheap (compared to adaptec...). I use only LVD
> > Devices with this Controller, so can not comment on the dual-channel
> > operation (i do not think this will cause problems)
>
> It is no real Dual-Channel-Controller. It only permits to use two
> different cables for internal devices. As soon as you want to use an
> external scanner, you can use only one cable for internal devices, so
> you will slow down U2W-harddisks to Fast-SCSI because of the CD-Roms
> (very bas, in this case I don't have to buy a new controller ;) )

Another possibility is to use an internal <-> external Adapter on the
SE cable, but you have to be carefull about the max cable length.
BTW, some scanners do not support scsi-disconnect and will stop the
scsi bus while scanning (Mustek ie.) so a dedicated controller for the
scanner might be a good idea anyway .

Ramin