Re: Debian box unable to HTTP to www.nai.com - FIXED

On Monday 13 August 2001 08:22 am, you wrote:
> >I thoroughly enjoyed this ripping tale of intrigue,
> >adventure, and romance, but would you mind explaining
> >to a debian-newbie exactly who or what the culprit
> >was?  I've been having trouble connecting to various
> >sites (www.ups.com,www.zdnet.com,www.sun.com to name
> >a few) and I have absoluetly no idea why.  I've tried
> >with 4 different web browsers, they all begin
> >making the http connection and just hang.
>
> Same problem I'm sure. If you've downloaded the kernel source, you can
> check what the directive is by doing your 'make menuconfig' and looking in
> the networking section at the help on 'Explicit network congestion
> notification'. The help states that many firewalls can't handle this yet.
>
> The command to turn it off is 'echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn'. You
> would need to do this at every startup so placing it in one of your rc
> scripts would be a good idea. I just put it in init.d/bootmisc.sh.

	Thanks for the help.  I'm afraid someone beat you to the
punch, though.  :)  I've been happily connecting to all those
antiquated servers all weekend.
	Just a quick note, it seems that Debian provides a means
of setting sysctl variables without having to issue such commands
in an init script.  I have the line
	net/ipv4/tcp_ecn = 0
in /etc/sysctl.conf.  I'm sure the effect is identical, though.
> Good luck. :)
>
> >I can ping zdnet and sun but not ups.  I also can't
> >ping amazon but I can load it in a web browser.
>
> Just as an aside, a lot of sites won't let you ping them...and with good
> reason. So if you find a site that doesn't reply, it doesn't mean you
> configured something wrong. It just means they are a little more paranoid
> about the 'Ping of Death' and other nastiness.

	Thanks for the info; that makes a lot of sense.

>In the land of the Internet,
> villains abound. ;-)

	Indeed they do; all those NON-Debian boxes! :)

Michael