RE: Debian box unable to HTTP to www.nai.com - FIXED

>I thoroughly enjoyed this ripping tale of intrigue,
>adventure, and romance, but would you mind explaining
>to a debian-newbie exactly who or what the culprit
>was?  I've been having trouble connecting to various
>sites (www.ups.com,www.zdnet.com,www.sun.com to name
>a few) and I have absoluetly no idea why.  I've tried
>with 4 different web browsers, they all begin
>making the http connection and just hang.

Same problem I'm sure. If you've downloaded the kernel source, you can check
what the directive is by doing your 'make menuconfig' and looking in the
networking section at the help on 'Explicit network congestion
notification'. The help states that many firewalls can't handle this yet.

The command to turn it off is 'echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn'. You
would need to do this at every startup so placing it in one of your rc
scripts would be a good idea. I just put it in init.d/bootmisc.sh.

Good luck. :)

>I can ping zdnet and sun but not ups.  I also can't
>ping amazon but I can load it in a web browser.

Just as an aside, a lot of sites won't let you ping them...and with good
reason. So if you find a site that doesn't reply, it doesn't mean you
configured something wrong. It just means they are a little more paranoid
about the 'Ping of Death' and other nastiness. In the land of the Internet,
villains abound. ;-)